Guidance for Enabling VTA and VTA via probabilistic modeling
There are two types of attribution models in mobile user acquisition:
- Click-through attribution (CTA)
A user who clicked an ad (click) and subsequently installs the app, is attributed by click-through attribution
- View-through attribution (VTA)
A user who views an ad (impression) and subsequently installs the app, is attributed by view-through attribution
VTA helps your app to track conversions that happen when a user views an ad and then downloads your app directly from the app store.
VTA’s attribution window can range between 1 hour and 24 hours, with the standard being 24 hours, which means any conversion only within 24 hours after a user views an ad is attributed to that particular impression.
- Not lose attributions of those users, who installed your app after watching the ad;
- Scale campaigns and bring more users to your app with better ROI;
- Increase overall CVR of the ads helping to optimize ad campaigns better;
- Measure different kinds of ads and understand their effectiveness.
Nevertheless, you need to manually enable VTA via probabilistic modeling for iOS 14.5+ promotion.
Before Apple released ATT (App Tracking Transparency) mobile attribution was based on IDFA (apple device identifier) matching. Now, when it is no longer available for those users, who didn’t consent to provide their IDFA, attribution becomes much more complicated which affects user acquisition for the price of safer user data privacy.
* % of mobile active app users who allow app tracking among users who have chosen to either allow or deny tracking. April 2022. Source
However, Appsflyer has released a probabilistic modeling that leverages scale and machine learning to measure campaign performance without compromising on privacy. This form of attribution is based on probabilities with probabilistic modeling parameters.
- Effectively work with users, who didn’t provide their IDFA (on average, more than 75% of iOS users*);
- Avoid extra spendings as ad networks don’t provide filtration of IDFA and non-IDFA users. You show impressions to all audience at once;
- Increase ROI by providing more and faster signals (with an average accuracy rate of 92%) for ad platforms to optimize;
- Scale advertising campaigns with a higher CR due to coverage rate of 89%.
Click-through probabilistic modeling is always enabled. View-through probabilistic modeling needs to be enabled manually.
Enabled by default
Step 1. Go to Configuration > App settings
Step 2. Turn on “View-Through attribution via probabilistic modeling”
- Appsflyer - View-through attribution (VTA): https://www.appsflyer.com/glossary/view-through-attribution/
- Appsflyer - Probabilistic modeling: https://www.appsflyer.com/glossary/probabilistic-modeling/
- Appsflyer - View-through attribution guide: https://support.appsflyer.com/hc/en-us/articles/210084473-View-through-attribution-guide
If you have any questions, please reach out to your personal Client Success Manager or write to firstname.lastname@example.org